Sunday, March 8, 2009

Woodpeckers and Cougars and Bears-Oh My!

My mother asked me the other day if I knew what to do if I saw a bear. "Get my camera" wasn't the answer she was looking for. But it is what I'd do-hopefully. Apparently there's been a lot of bear and cougar sightings around here- and the park rangers are doing workshops to teach people what to do. (put your hands in the air and back away slowly...sounds like a cop show.)

We don't have a newspaper here, so we don't get to read about all the local happenings.Everyone on my road has seen "our bear" except me. (and you wonder why I'm depressed-lol) Sometimes I hope he will come eat the extremely noisy neighbor's dogs-okay I don't really hope that. But they are loud and have driven away some of my wildlife...sigh. And I'm starting to suspect she's an irresponsible breeder, but that story is for another time.Haven't seen any cougar tracks either.

I did hear the pileated woodpeckers yesterday and this morning-but no sightings yet. They usually only come up from the woods twice/year- early spring and late fall. The first time I saw one I was just in shock at the size and beauty-so I look forward to seeing them every year. If it doesn't pour down rain today maybe I'll get a glimpse.

No comments: